Snails and Slugs Research and Development Projects
RCSN project: Effective baiting options for the control of conical snails in the Albany port zone. DAFWA conducting the trial work.
1. Survey of growers in the Albany port zone to assess what baits are being used and what methods are used to distribute baits including how effective growers perceive these methods to be.
2. Determine optimum rate and density of 3 bait types
Lab trial with 12 treatments X 4 reps
3. Determining if rainfastness affects small conical snail control in the field
Caged trial with 4 treatments X 3 reps
4. Determining the palatability of bait formulations on small conical snail control
Caged trial with snails + baits to determine which bait type is the most palatable to snails
5. Best Bet Bait trial
3 field trials with SCF to assist in site locations and bait applications.
2 best bet baits to be applied at pre-seeding, post-seeding, pre-emergence, at emergence and at 6-leaf stage, with sites being the replication.
Plant counts and snails counts to be done 7 days after each application.
COGGO project: Snails and slugs mitigation for farmers in Great Southern regions. Stirlings to Coast were invited to apply for this to work collaboratively with other grower groups to deliver project outcomes.
Scope of work:
1. Initiation of Snails and Slugs Taskforce across grower groups
2. Six snails mitigation events across the Albany and Esperance Port Zones in 2016/17.
3. Best practice manual on snail control for Great Southern farmers.
4. Final report
Click here for further information about these and other Snail and Slug projects in the Southern Ag Region.